Sunday 25 August 2013

Caution: Men at Work


I can finally reveal that we are building a house. Well, when I saw we, I mean the inexhaustible Bear and my amazing Papa, I am just a tea lady. And....when I say house, I mean a chalet-esque structure in my mothers back garden but regardless of size and shape, the point is it's 100% ours and we have control over the interior, colours and furniture for the first time ever since we moved in together first over four years ago. 

This is Bear and Lil Bro getting down and dirty with some roofing planks and what we have right now is a shell but while the lads are scaling ladders and getting knee deep in cement Mother and I are prematurely perusing colour charts and IKEA catalogues. We are also in charge of wandering aimlessly up and down the aisles of our local Chadwicks, Woodies and B&Q like typical women, with lists of tools and materials that we didn't know. Can I take this opportunity to say a big Thank You to the team there who are always so helpful. 



Bear and I are already disagreeing about colours and style, me favouring a pastel, contemporary, rustic  home with feature walls and furniture (courtesy of Lil Bro, furniture designer extraordinaire!) while, Bear wants more clean lines and a minimalist style. We still haven't come to a compromise. 

Who knew there would be so much work involved? Papa, has been involved in the building trade for as long as I can remember but I never knew or cared to learn, about the ins and outs but I've learnt so much in the past few weeks. Yesterday, for example, I learnt within five minutes of 'walking on site' I discovered that aeroboard will not hold my weight much to the 'the teams' chagrin. I slinked off site to hoots of 'well done Emma!'. *sad face* however, Karma scooted nicely around later in the afternoon when Bear did the same thing. Naturally, ridiculous amounts of cheering and clapping followed. 

I also learnt that pale yellow Converse and faded denim cutoffs are not suitable 'site' attire and had to pilfer clothes from Lil Bro's wardrobe. Though, I am in the process of persuading the men that in order for me to work at maximum efficiency on a wet, muddy and hazard-strewn site I MUST have a pair of glossy black Hunter wellies. So far, my demands for them to be included in the budget is falling on deaf ears. But a girl can hope...


Sharing a coke with the two most important and best men on the planet.*

*this was NOT a bribe......


 

No comments:

Post a Comment